If you want to be found in search engine results you need to have a fast website. Now that Google pays extra attention and favors the sites that have a fast loading time, it’s critical to have a fast website. (Page Speed is a ranking factor from Yoast)
Did you know that image size is one of the main reasons websites become slow? Paying close attention to image size and optimizing images will ensure your website performs well.
If you’re still publishing images without optimizing them, you’re missing out on many benefits of small-size images. The benefits of optimizing images for the web include:
- Improved website performance – Images that are smaller, require less time to download. They require less bandwidth. They make your website load faster and improve overall website performance
- Better user experience – users don’t’ like to wait. If you optimize your images, your website will load faster resulting in a better user experience.
- SEO improvement – Google favors the sites that load quickly. Many slow websites get penalized and get downgraded. If you optimize your images, you can drastically increase the speed of your website, which will lead to your website moving up in search engine results.
Also sacrificing the quality of the photo in exchange for a smaller file is no longer a problem. As you will see, once you start using image optimization tools on this list, the quality of the photo hardly diminishes after you run in through these tools and reduce the image size. So even though the quality of the images will be non significantly reduced, the file size often can be reduced by half and often even more.
So if you’re wondering how to optimize images for the web, below is the list of some of the best top free tools to help you.
If you’re a web designer or graphic designer you probably already have one of the best tools around. Photoshop is an excellent app for optimizing images. It has Save for the Web option allowing to reduce the image size when saving.
Resources: Guides On How To Reduce Photo File Size
- Optimizing Images for Web: A Practical Guide (Source: Better Lemonade Stand)
- How to Optimize Images for Web and Performance (Source: Kinsta)
- 10 Must Know Image Optimization Tips (Source: Shopify)
- 4 Ways to Optimize Your Images for the Web and Improve Your Site’s Performance ( Source: Artisanthemes)
Unfortunately, many bloggers and other professionals working on the web don’t have access to Photoshop and Adobe Suite.
Luckily there are many amazing free online image optimization tools available. Many are free and easy to use. Most of these tools do have premium features you have to pay for, but in most cases, a free version is more than sufficient.
Many image optimization and compression tools on this list work in a similar fashion, so you need to try a few to see which one you prefer. And please share your experience after trying them and let others know what image optimization tool you think is the best.
Best Free Online Tools to Optimize Images
I recently discovered this tool and it’s now my go-to image resizing and optimizing tool. Unlike the other tools on the list, Squoosh allows you to resize the image, change the quality on the fly and preview the image side by side without saving your image. You can also control compression levels for best results The app itself is extremely simple and easy to use.
Compress PNG images while preserving transparency. Make your website faster and save bandwidth. This tool optimizes jpg and png images. PNG file sizes, when optimized by TinyPNG, are reduced by as much as 50-80% while still preserving full transparency! You can even upload up to 20 images at a time.
Do you need help with your website?Services We Offer:
- Medical Website Design
- Health WordPress Development
- Website Maintenance
- Medial SEO & Digital Marketing
Compress and optimize your images. It can produce up to 90% file size reduction. Compressor is one of the best image compressing apps online. It’s a free web app that can take any number of images (under 10MB) and optimize their file size without quality loss.
TinyImage is another free tool that lets you reduces your image file size without compromising the image quality. Just select the PNG and/or JPG/JPEG files you want to compress and download their compressed versions after quick optimization.
JPEGMini is another photo recompression app, which significantly reduces the size of photographs without affecting their perceptual quality. You can also download a free desktop version that lets you save up to 20 images per day free.
Compress and Resize Your Digital Photos. Resize and Compress Digital Photos and Images Online. JPEG-Optimizer is a free online tool for resizing and compressing your digital photos and images for displaying on the web in forums or blogs. You can also specify the level of compression.
Top WordPress Image Optimization Plugins
If you’re one of many who uses WordPress, you can also optimize and compress your images when uploading them to the WordPress site. Below are two of my favorite WordPress image optimization plugins.
EWWW Image Optimizer
EWWW I.O. will automatically optimize new images that you upload, it can also optimize all the images that you have already uploaded, and optionally convert your images to the best file format.
Resize, optimize, and compress all of your images with the incredibly powerful and 100% free WordPress image smusher, brought to you by the superteam at WPMU DEV!
Check out this infographic on how to improve website performance using image optimization techniques from Website Builder Expert
More Online Optimization Tools & Resources:
- 15 Best Free Image Optimization Tools for Image Compression (Source: Enviragallery)
- The 6 Best WordPress Image Optimization Plugins Compared (Source: Elegant Themes)
- From big to small: 5 free image compression tools reviewed (Source: Search Engine Land)