Switching from Full time to freelancer can be a challenging move. Fortunately, there are many tools to help you transition successfully. With so many amazing tools available online for free, it’s becoming easier every day to achieve success working as a freelance designer or developer. Below is the list of essential free tools to help you successfully manage your online freelance business.
Here are more resources and links to top freelance tools
- 50 Tools You Need To Get Your Freelance Business Started
- 30 Essential Tools and Web Apps for Freelancers– All kind of goodies for Web & Graphic Designers. This one is posted on template monster site.
- Best Freelance Tools from HelloBonsai
- 50 Essential Resources for Online Freelancers & Entrepreneurs
- Wave – Create and send professional invoices and manage your finances. Track the status of your invoices and payments so you can know when to expect money in your bank account.
Online Collaboration Tools
- Asana – Asana is a superb project management tool. I’ve been using it to collaborate with all my clients. It helps you organize your notes and files, keep in touch with members of your team and track project goals. But it also has many other cool features including Trello like project boards. I highly recommend it. (Free & Paid)
- Skype – Skype has been around for a long time and for a good reason. It’s easy to setup and allows you to make easily communicate to all your clients. Skype allows you to send files, IM, call and do screen sharing with your clients. (Free. Paid for phone calls).
- Slack – The popularity of Slack exploded in the last year and for a good reason. Slack is basically an instant messaging on steroids. It allows users to send files, create teams, set up channels dedicated to specific topics and much more. Slack makes all your business communications much easier to manage. (Free).
- Meister Task – Project management tool that uses boards to keep track of current projects
- Trello – Trello lets you work more collaboratively and get more done. Trello’s boards, lists, and cards enable you to organize and prioritize your project’s tasks.
Bonus: The 18 best tools for online collaboration – This is a great list of online collaboration tools from creativebloq. The list includes popular apps, as well as some, that are lesser known.
- Zoom – Great tool to use for conducting online meetings. Free account allows an unlimited number of meetings, but time is limited to 40 minutes per meeting. (Free and Paid)
- Join.me – Free conferencing tool with lots of great features for conducting a video meeting.
- Free Go To Meeting – GoToMeeting Free makes it easy to collaborate with up to 3 clients and colleagues around the corner or around the world using your Chrome browser.
- Free Conference Call – Host or join free conference calls or meeting with other participants.
Online FTP Manager
- Net2FTP – Connect to your FTP server and start editing your website.
- Toggl – With Toggl you track time in real time. You never lose a minute of your billable time. If you forget to switch it on, then enter time later on. Organize your time by projects or tags, and mark it as “billable”. Many users will find free version sufficient. (Free and Paid).
- Paymo – Online project management app that helps deliver projects on budget and on time, by eliminating bottlenecks through accurate tracking and reporting. Paymo is free for up to 3 clients. (Free for 3 projects or less. Paid)
- Timely – Simple time tracking software. Timely encourages you to fill in the hours you worked on a specific project.
- Freelancy Time Tracker – Freelancey lets your turn time tracked into invoices, quickly and easily up project completion. This one is not free, but for $29/lifetime account it’s a still a great deal. (Paid. One time payment).
Share Large Files
- Drop Send – Dropsend has been around for a long time and for a good reason. They offer and easy way to send files up to 8GB in size.
- Transfernow – Great tool to for sharing large files to your clients. Send up to 4 GB of large files per transfer by generating a link or by email to more than 20 contacts!
- Filemail – Filemail is quick and simple. Fill out an email form with your address and that of your recipient, compose your message, attach your file or files, and send your message. The free plan allows files as large as 30GB.
- We Transfer – You can send up to 2GB large files as a free user.
- pCloud Transfer – Send large files up to 5GB
It’s 100% free, no registration required!
- Filemail – Send large files – fast, easy & secure
Client Feedback and Approval Tools
Use these tools to get client feedback. Upload your graphics or screenshots and have clients add comments right on a project where feedback is needed.
- Symu.co – Tool that allows clients to add comments anywhere on a project. Each added comment becomes a task to speed up the workflow!
- Hightail – Hightail is another tool that allows designer and clients collaborate on creative projects. Easily send and share large files and get feedback by clients online
- InVision – InVision allows you to turn your designs into a functioning prototypes. You can link pages, create interactions and have clients leave feedback on the designs you create. (Free for first project. Paid)